Tuesday, September 24, 2013

75. Broken Wheat Upma (daliya upma)

Final Outcome: Good

        Whew!!! What a month I had! Guests, social gatherings, unplanned events.... I have not cooked a single new dish for an entire month. I had begun working on a cross stitch project. As usual I took a bite larger than I could chew. I planned on making a BIG 'Tweety' bird for my kid. So far I have only finished its foot! I need a few extra hours in a day. Lets hope I can complete atleast this resolution on time.
        This recipe is borrowed from my mom. She makes it frequently. I have made it several times in the last month. The one in the picture was the 1st one ( We had just returned from a visit home and our refrigerator was empty except frozen sweet corn. Hence the picture contains only corn).

Recipe: ( for 2 persons)
Broken Wheat/Daliya: 1 cup
1 cup of vegetables chopped: Beans, carrot, Green peas and sweet corn
Ginger: 1 inch
Onion : 1/2 medium onion chopped
Green chili: 1 chopped
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida: a pinch
Salt to taste
Lemon juice: 2 spoons
Fresh Coriander: 1 tbsp

Method:
1. Add chopped vegetables and Ginger to broken wheat. Add 2.5 cups of water and pressure cook 2 whistles or until done.
2. In a pan heat oil. Add mustard seeds. once they begin to splutter add asafoetida, green chili and onion. Cook till onion is soft.
3. Add cooked broken wheat and salt. Mix well.
3. Add a little water if it appears dry. Add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander. Mix well and serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments